The Society for Human Rights is founded by Henry Gerber in Chicago. It is the first documented gay rights organization, having received a charter from Illinois and produced the first American publication for homosexuals called Friendship and Freedom.” No copy of Friendship and Freedom survives today.
Gerber was posthumously inducted into the Chicago Gay and Lesbian Hall of Fame in 1992. The Henry Gerber House, located at 1701 N. Crilly Court, Chicago, contains the apartment in which Gerber lived when he founded the Society. It was designated a Chicago Landmark on June 1, 2001 and was named a National Historic Landmark in June 2015.